Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes & Buttermilk Syrup - Mindee

I had some fresh blueberries on hand so we decided to try these! They were pretty good, not to sweet and they baked up nice. For the syrup, I am usually pretty loyal to maple but Sylvia (my sis in law) was telling me about a buttermilk syrup she had tried and my mouth was watering just listening to her describe it. I could seriously eat this syrup by the spoon fulls.....so good!!! Thanks for the idea Sylvia!

Todds Famous Blueberry Pancakes (allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/4 cups flour
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1 Tb. baking powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp. white sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 Tb. butter, melted
  • 1/2 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (if frozen, thaw first)
In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt , baking powder, and sugar. In a small bowl, beat together egg and milk. Stir milk and egg into flour mixture. Mix in the butter and fold in the blueberries (Mine were fresh so I just sprinkled them on as soon as the batter hit the griddle). Set aside for 1 hour (We didn't wait that long, and they turned out fine!). Heat a lightly oiled griddle over med/high heat. Pour batter onto griddle using 1/4 cup for each pancake. Brown on both sides and serve hot.

Buttermilk Syrup (allrecipes.com)

Ingredients:
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 3/4 cup buttermilk
  • 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
  • 2 Tb. corn syrup
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract (I only used 1 tsp. of pure vanilla)
In a saucepan, stir together the sugar, buttermilk, butter, corn syrup, and baking soda. Bring to a boil, and cook for 7 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla. Make sure to use a larger sauce pan because the syrup rises as you boil it!

1 comment:

Alan and Mindee said...

I made these pancakes again today. This time I added about 1/4 tsp. of cinnamon which I am going to do every time from now on. I also left out the Tb.of melted butter on accident and it was just fine without it!