Friday, May 21, 2010

Sugar Cookie Bars - Mindee Williams


I don't make sugar cookies that often, but I have this weakness when I see a recipe that looks delicious it stays in my mind until I make it! It was quick not to have to ice each cookie ( which is not as fun for the kiddos, but Marlee got to help with the sprinkles). This is a very thick cookie and makes a lot, so you will want to share with someone.


Ingredients:

1 cup butter, room temp.

2 cups sugar

4 eggs

2 tsp. vanilla

5 cups flour

1 tsp. salt

1/2 tsp. baking soda


Cream butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing after each egg. Add vanilla and mix well. In a separate bowl combine flour, salt, and soda - whisk to combine. Add to wet mixture just until combined. Spread on a greased 13x18 baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes , until light brown or until toothpick comes out clean ( I had to do the tooth pick test because my oven doesn't brown). Cool completely and frost.


Frosting:

1/2 cup butter, room temp.

1/2 cup shortening

1 tsp. vanilla

pinch of salt

4 cups powdered sugar

5 Tb. milk


Combine butter and shortening until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and salt. Add powdered sugar in one cup increments until combined, then add milk. Mix until smooth and spreading consistency. Spread over cooled cookie and add favorite sprinkles!!!


9 comments:

The Brindley's said...

Thanks, I was looking for a yummy sugar cookie recipe to make some fruit pizza out of and I think this will be perfect. Gonna give it a try later today.

KM said...

I can't wait to try these Mindee!
Kari

Sylvia said...

LOVE sugar cookies...hate cutting them out and frosting them! This is MUCH better and looks yummy too!

Mike and Lisa said...

Alan said these are good. He said Boo gobbled them up. I can't wait to try them!

Lacee DeG said...

I am so, soooooo excited to try these!! Thanks Mindee!

Lacee DeG said...

Thanks Mindee!! They are soooo yummy! FYI: Don't use butter-flavor shortening unless you want yellow frosting!

Hillary said...

I made these (but used store bought frosting) and they were SOOOOO good!! Especially if you frost and eat them when they are warm. My new favorite quick easy dessert! Thanks for sharing :)

The Backus Family said...

Me and Keylee can't wait to try them. They look yummy!

Grandma Linda said...

These are so good. Little Red Ridinghood aka Kallie Sue brought me some down yesterday and they were delicious