Sunday, May 9, 2010

Red Pepper Fajitas - Mindee Williams

Fajita Seasoning Mix:
We love tacos at our house, but sometimes it's fun to change it up with fajitas. I usually buy my fajita seasoning mix, but when I didn't have any on hand I found this recipe on the internet. In the time it took me to cook the meat and veggies I had whipped up this easy mix (enough for 3 packets). It tasted awesome! I don't think I will be buying fajita mix anymore!!!

Prep Time: 10 mintues

Ingreidents:

  • 3 Tbsp. cornstarch
  • 2 Tbsp. chili powder
  • 1 Tbsp. salt
  • 1 Tbsp. paprika
  • 1 Tbsp. sugar
  • 2-1/2 tsp. crushed beef bouillon cube (or chicken)
  • 1-1/2 tsp. onion powder
  • 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
  • 1/2 tsp. cumin
Preparation: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Pour into small glass or plastic containers (I just used zip lock baggies). Seal and store in a cool, dry place. Makes the equivalet of 3 packets of commercial or purchased Fajita Seasoning Mix.

Red Pepper Fajitas:
Prep Time: 10 minutes - Cook Time: 15 minutes - Total Time: 25 Minutes

Ingredients:
2 sirlion steaks or 4 chicken breasts
1 large red pepper or 2 small ( can use green also)
1 medium onion
2 Tb. oil (only if using chicken instead of beef)
3 Tb. Fajita Seasoning Mix (above)
1/3 cup water

Toppings:
grated cheddar cheese, sour cream, diced tomatoes, lettuce or whatever you prefer.

Preparation: Cut steak (or chicken) into thin strips, cross grain. Cut Red pepper and onion into thin strips. Cook and stir beef over medium high heat for 5 minutes ( if cooking chicken heat the 2 Tb oil, then add chicken). Then add fajita seasoning mix, water, red pepper and onion. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir over medium heat until beef (or chicken) is cooked through and vegetables are tender. Serve with desired toppings on warmed tortillas.

2 comments:

Sundee said...

Great way to use all the red peppers we got from bountiful baskets.

The Backus Family said...

This looks absolutely beautiful and delicious. I always buy packet seasoning too however I think I will give this a try. Thanks!