Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Clam Chowder - Linda Brindley Chipman

This is a thinner chowder than most I have tasted but the best one I have ever tasted.

4 T. butter
1 large onion, minced
½ cup minced celery
¼ cup finely chopped carrots
2 cloves garlic minced
1 T. flour
¼ teas. Dill weed
6 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
1 teas. Worchestershire sauce
3 cups cubed potatoes ( I used red potatoes and loved them)
¼ teas, black pepper
1 ½ cups of half and half
3 cans chopped clams with juice

Directions:
Heat butter in large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion, celery, carrots and garlic and cook until soft. Stir in flour and dill weed. Mix in water, bouillon cubes and Worcestershire sauce. Add potatoes and season with black pepper. Cook until potatoes begin to soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in milk and clams with juice. Continue to simmer 15-20 minutes more. I mixed a few more tablespoons of flour with a little cold water and added it here to make it just a little thicker but I like it on the thin side. I love this soup.

2 comments:

Alan and Mindee said...

Mom fixed this for me at her house the other day and It was delicious! I am planning to make it this week for my fam!

Our Favorite Recipies said...

I have made this recipe often and our family loves it! I always make cheddar biscuits to go with it. Thanks for the yummy recipe.